Female sexual enhancement is defined as anything that enhances a woman's sexuality. This would include any procedures that improve ones self image. Breast enlargement would be an example of the most frequent surgical procedures in this category. However, cosmetic surgery of the female external genitalia has been neglected and frequently derided.
With the advent of explicit magazines and videos, as well as apparel, the female genitalia is much more on display.Women may become self conscious of their external genitalia's appearance on the beach as well as the bedroom.
Many women are not aware that there are doctors who do cosmetic surgery on the female external genitalia. The surgical procedures that are available include:
- Tightening of the Vagina - The enlarged vagina is frequently a problem after childbirth. The vagina is stretched severely during childbirth and never quite returns to it's pre-pregnancy size. The surgical procedure for this problem is called a posterior repair or vaginoplasty.
- Un-hooding of the Clitoris - Some women have thickened skin over the clitoris. This can interfere with stimulation and decrease sensitivity. When this hood is removed surgically, the woman may enjoy greater and more intense stimulation often leading to more intense orgasms.
- Labia Minora (inner lips) Reduction - Many women dislike the large protuberant appearance of their labia minora. This may cause severe embarrassment with a sexual partner. The overly large labia minora can also result in constant irritation in tight pants. Surgical labial reduction can greatly improve the aesthetic appearance of the abnormally enlarged labis. Some women are born with large labia, others may develop this condition with childbirth or age.
- Labia Majora (outer lips) Reduction - This common anatomical variation may be worsened by childbirth or by weight gain or loss. They may sometimes be improved by liposuction. In more severe cases, surgical reduction is necessary.
- Filling or plumping out the labia majora or minora by fat injection.